IrishAnfield
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't buy the S*N

+2
Barnes 10
Dallas
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Don't buy the S*N Empty Don't buy the S*N

Post by Dallas Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 pm

All Liverpool fans know, or should know, that they should never buy or read the S*n newspaper.
For those that don't know, hopefully you will be educated on the reasoning in this thread.

This Rag published horrible headlines, all lies, regarding the LFC fans that lost their lives at Hillsborough and blamed other LFC fans for their deaths, and have never said sorry.
Dallas
Dallas
TOP DOG!!

Location : Athlone...Middle of nowhere..Centre v Everywhere!!!

Back to top Go down

Don't buy the S*N Empty Re: Don't buy the S*N

Post by Barnes 10 Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 am

Written by Jim Boardman and submitted with Jim’s approval. (Original link http://www.anfieldroad.com/dont-buy-the-sun/)

A surprising number of people seem unaware of the boycott of The Sun by supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Some don’t seem to know it is boycotted, others don’t know why. Some people rather disturbingly know why the boycott exists but still choose to buy it.

If you choose to continue to buy The Sun after reading this article, and the articles it links to, then you ought to stop calling yourself a Liverpool supporter. Collect any shirts or scarves you have, and hand them in to a charity shop. In fact you can’t really call yourself a football supporter. The lies printed in The Sun that you will read about below were aimed at Liverpool supporters, people from Liverpool, people from the North of England, football supporters of any club. If you fall into any of those categories you certainly shouldn’t be buying, reading, or visiting the website of that newspaper. If you are a decent human being you will be steering clear of it from now on, even if you’ve not done so before.

If you buy the paper regularly already, print off all of this information, and save your money tomorrow. Read these articles instead. If you still want to buy that paper the following day I would be surprised.

The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989, over 20 years ago. On April 15th 1989 a disaster took place which resulted in the deaths of ninety-six Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough, the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday, during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Ninety-six people had their lives crushed out of them. Many more are said to have ended their own lives since as a consequence of that disaster. A lot of injustices came out of that disaster, far too many to list here. For more information visit the Hillsborough Justice Campaign website at http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough and please try to support them.

This article concentrates on one piece of injustice that could so easily have been avoided. That could so easily have been made a little better, if not fixed, in the intervening years. Lies were printed as fact in a British newspaper, and that newspaper has still not made an unconditional apology for what it printed. Its editor of the time has never made an unconditional apology in all of that time.

The headlines and sub-headlines on the front page of The Sun newspaper on the Wednesday following the disaster were as follows:

“The Truth.
Some fans picked pockets of victims
Some fans urinated on the brave cops
Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

So just four days after their loved ones had died, four days after they had narrowly escaped death themselves, Liverpool supporters were confronted with those headlines. People actually believed those headlines. Those who were there did not believe the headlines of course, nor did those who knew people who had been there. Unfortunately though a lot of people did believe those headlines; people who were not Liverpool supporters, perhaps supporters of another team or people who did not follow football at all. The headlines sewed seeds in so many people’s minds that the 96 supporters died at the hands of their own kind. All lies, all proven to be lies, yet never put right by that publication.

For more on the media coverage, visit http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm, Hillsborough Football Disaster: Context and Consequences, http://football.guardian.co.uk and Wikipedia .

The Wikipedia article says: “The story accompanying these headlines claimed that ‘drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims’ and ‘police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon’. A quote, attributed to an unnamed policeman, claimed that a dead girl had been abused and that Liverpool fans ‘were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead’.”

Read that last bit again, it really was printed in a national newspaper.

Liverpool legend and the manager of the club at the time Kenny Dalglish was greatly affected by the tragedy. He attended numerous funerals and visited people in hospital, some of whom were in comas; he spent time with those that had lost their loved ones. In his autobiography he talks about the Disaster and recalls the media coverage:

“The press coverage was difficult to comprehend, particularly the publication of pictures which added to people’s distress. There was one photograph of two girls right up against the Leppings Lane fence, their faces pressed into the wire. Nobody knows how they escaped. They used to come to Melwood every day, looking for autographs, and that photograph upset everyone there because we knew them. After seeing that I couldn’t look at the papers again.

When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly, underneath a headline ‘The Truth,’ the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn’t mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused. Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun’s editor, even called me up.

“How can we correct the situation?” he said.

“You know that big headline – ‘The Truth’?” I replied. “All you have to do is put ‘We lied’ in the same size. Then you might be all right.”

Mackenzie said: “I cannot do that.”

“Well,” I replied, “I cannot help you then.”

That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are.

There is no excuse for buying or reading The Sun. None whatsoever. If you read that newspaper, or worse still you buy that newspaper, after reading this article and those other articles that are linked to, then you are not fit to call yourself a Red. If you support another team, you should still be able to see why that newspaper should be boycotted. No matter what competitions they are running. Regardless of any “exclusives” they claim to have, even if it is the only paper left in the shop. Saying you bought it to get some tokens to help your daughter’s school to buy a new computer is not going to get you off the hook. It’s really simple:
Don’t buy the Sun.
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

https://irishanfield.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:09 am

Don't buy the S*N 84523782 Don't buy the S*N 33510930

Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:16 am

Taken from ‘Dalglish: My Autobiography,’ Published by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd. For educational purposes only. (Original link http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/dalglish.shtm)

The press coverage was difficult to comprehend, particularly the publication of pictures which added to people’s distress. There was one photograph of two girls right up against the Leppings Lane fence, their faces pressed into the wire. Nobody knows how they escaped. They used to come to Melwood every day, looking for autographs, and that photograph upset everyone there because we knew them. After seeing that I couldn’t look at the papers again.

Don't buy the S*N Kennyec

I was invited to Walton jail where the prisoners were having a service for Hillsborough. Before I went in, the governor asked me to give them words of reassurance. The inmates were very upset by what they had read. It was a creepy experience. There was silence apart from the clinking of keys, the rattle of doors sliding back. I went into the chapel and the inmates were sitting there, with hardly a murmur from anybody. Then they clapped me in. It was really appreciative applause but unnerving as well. I remembered the governor’s words and told them not to be upset by what they had read in the papers, because it wasn’t true.

The Sun’s allegations were disgraceful and completely groundless. Ticketless fans try to get into every game. Any well-supported club playing in a semi-final is going to attract ticketless fans. If handled properly, as they had been at Hillsborough a year earlier, ticketless supporters do not present a problem.

The shameful allegations intensified the anger amidst the trauma. We spent the week consoling the bereaved and attending funerals. On the Saturday we held a service at Anfield. At six minutes past three there was a minute’s silence across the country. Then everyone at Anfield sang ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone.’ We tied scarves between Anfield and Goodison. We just wanted to show the unity existing on Merseyside. The following day, there was a final service on the pitch. It was really quiet, just the wind rustling the scarves tied to the crossbar. When somebody shouted out ‘We all loved you,’ we all broke down.
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Dallas Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:21 am

Don't buy the S*N Sun_the_truth
Dallas
Dallas
TOP DOG!!

Back to top Go down

Post by moejoe54 Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Justice For The 96. R.I.P.
moejoe54
moejoe54
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Don't buy the S*N Dontbuysun
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Don't buy the S*N Justice-for-the-96
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by misslfc Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 pm

JAMES Murdoch today offered a 'full apology' for The Sun's coverage of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster - and refused to rule out closure of the newspaper should it be implicated in the phone hacking scandal.

The News International chairman was appearing before the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee for the second time.

Steve Rotheram, MP for Liverpool Walton, asked Mr Murdoch: "Is it not the case that you've failed to show the urgency or the will to deal with unethical practices at News International because, quite frankly, successive chief executives since 1989 have believed that they could do whatever they wanted and get away with it?"

Mr Rotheram followed up with: "Do you understand the significance of the date I gave - 1989?"

Mr Murdoch said: "I think I know where you're going. Are you referring to the Hillsborough coverage in The Sun?"

"Of course I am, absolutely," said Mr Rotheram. "That was when The Sun newspaper published lies about the Hillsborough disaster under the banner headline 'The Truth' and the question I'd like you to answer is - did the fact that The Sun got away with telling outrageous lies in 1989 lead News International into believing they could do whatever they wanted without reproach?"

Mr Murdoch said: "I'd like to add my full apology to the wrong coverage of that affair. I'd like to add that voice to successive editors of The Sun and chief executives of News International who since that instance have apologised.

"It was 22 years ago and I was far away and a much younger person...but I've since looked at it, I'm aware of the concerns and the hurt that it caused and it's something that we're very sorry for and I am as well."

Mr Rotheram asked whether The Sun could be closed like the News of the World was back in July if evidence of phone hacking was found.

"I shouldn't rule any corporate reaction to behaviour of wrongdoing out, that'll be a decision taken at the time given whatever is out there," Mr Murdoch said.

"It's important not to prejudge any outcomes from these investigations.

"They're important police investigations and important internal investigations that we are pro-actively pursuing to make sure that our papers can be as good as they can be - and that they can keep the trust of their readership and continue to perform that important role that I believe they have in their communities."
misslfc
misslfc
Fab at 40!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am

Talks cheap, how about a front page like Moejoes avatar
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Dallas Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:03 am

Barnes 10 wrote:Talks cheap, how about a front page like Moejoes avatar

Hole in one
Dallas
Dallas
TOP DOG!!

Back to top Go down

Post by misslfc Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:29 pm

misslfc
misslfc
Fab at 40!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by misslfc Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

misslfc
misslfc
Fab at 40!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dallas Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Done
Dallas
Dallas
TOP DOG!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Done
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Dallas Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Record sales in Ireland on Sunday, does nobody care what has gone on
Dallas
Dallas
TOP DOG!!

Back to top Go down

Post by misslfc Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Rebekah Brooks is among six people arrested by Scotland Yard detectives on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, as part of the investigation into phone hacking.

The former News International chief executive was arrested at her home in Oxfordshire by detectives from Operation Weeting. Sources also said that her husband, race course trainer Charlie Brooks, was also arrested.

The Metropolitan police refused to confirm the names of those arrested, but said that a 43-year-old woman and a 49-year-old man had been held. News International and the lawyer for Brooks declined to comment on the reports.

This morning's arrests happened between 5am and 7am on Tuesday morning at addresses in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire by officers from Operation Weeting.
misslfc
misslfc
Fab at 40!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by istanbul_05times Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 pm

hello all

sprry havent posted in a while , ive been living in london......hadnt got the address of here!!

no wonder the sun paper is still going....cockneys read it EVERY day....shit paper

istanbul_05times
Youth Team
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 pm

RT @rihanna: The s#n Newspaper is like a f**kin ass hair, full of sh*t!!!!!!
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Dallas Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:26 pm

WHAT'S THIS ABOUT?
Dallas
Dallas
TOP DOG!!

Back to top Go down

Post by misslfc Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Good riddance

Last edited by misslfc on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
misslfc
misslfc
Fab at 40!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Cheeky bastards, still refuse to even look at it.
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnes 10 Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 pm

XabiAlonso
At last, The Truth came out after 23 years. The dignity and respect of the families of Hillsborough was always an example
Barnes 10
Barnes 10
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by misslfc Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Will delete in morning, just showing the audacity of them
misslfc
misslfc
Fab at 40!!!!!!

Back to top Go down